Reckturm and city wall

The foundations of the listed tower date from the early 13th century. The tower initially served to protect the city and from the beginning of modern times it was used as an official and prison building, including for the "embarrassing interrogation".

Towards the end of the 19th century, the tower and the adjoining city wall began to be demolished. In 1901/02, however, the Wiener Neustadt art historian Franz Staub managed to stop the demolition work and began the historical reconstruction of the tower in the style of the 15th century. Today, a small, privately run weapons museum is housed in the tower. Among other things, firearms from 1630 to 1950 as well as historical cut and thrust weapons and equipment of the k.u.k. Army.

Please refer to the folder for current opening times and guided tours.